Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:14:35 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Yu Guo/PEK/Lotus <Yu_Guo@lotus.com>, "Andrzej Bialecki <abial" <abial@webgiro.com>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installworld to /some/where/...

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Yu Guo/PEK/Lotus wrote:
>

> > Just do a
> >      make DESTDIR=/mnt/installdir installworld
> >

> Or remotely mount /usr/obj and /usr/src, and do 15 make installworlds on
> 15 machines.  In fact, I'm not totally sure that first method works,
> because I think that perl, at least, records the name of DESTDIR during
> the 'make buildworld' so moving DESTDIR only in installworld, that might
> bomb later when you ran it.
>
> In fact, I think that will happen, and to cc1 (of gcc) also, because the
> 'specs' get set during buildworld, don't they?

Yes.

> The above would only be safe, I think, if you did the make buildworld with
> the same DESTDIR.  Anyone know if that's true?

Yes, and it's not true :-) DESTDIR is overloaded. It is reassigned
during a buildworld for internal purposes. There's only a very limited
way (ie for a very limited set of tools) to specify during build where
they will end up and where they can expect data files. In all other
cases it is assumed that the programs are run from the normal place.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org