Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:58:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Java <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.2.2 for FreeBSD

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Kwi-Hyun Choi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >> Ernst de Haan wrote:
> >> ppl say that they use the linu-jdk1.2.2 port because the native FreeBSD
> >> JDK is not available as a port yet, and that makes me sad ;-(
>
> Why ppl use linux-jdk1.2.2 port ?
>
> I compiled jdk1.2.2 for FreeBSD successfully, although that is not safety.
> (by http://java.freebsd.org)
>
> [masterpc@4eva][~]$ java -version
> java version "1.2.2"
> Classic VM (build jdk1.2.2-FreeBSD:root:2000/10/06-17:58, green threads,
> nojit)
  ^^^^^
  Yuck.

    If a JIT is available, it speeds things up by a factor of ten (at
least, that's my experience on Linux with the LINPACK benchmark.  I
don't know if the speedup would be as dramatic or not on FreeBSD, what
with the current lack of kernel threads--I'm not bitching, mind you,
just observing).

> Then, I have a question.
>
> Is there any problem if jdk1.2.2-FreeBSD is available as a port ?
>
> I think that it's better way to make jdk1.2.2 as a port although it's not
> safety.
>
> Is that wrong ?
>
> I wanna know that what the problem is. -.-a

    There may be licensing issues.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)