Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:21:13 -0400
From:      "Theo E. Schlossnagle" <theos@cnds.jhu.edu>
To:        kstone@win.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, backhand-users@lists.backhand.org
Subject:   Re: [mod_backhand-users] Mod_Backhand and Frontpage extentions.

Well, first off, let me confess my ignorance of how FrontPage works.  Now, I
will talk about what I do know.  Maybe someone with a little knowledge of
FrontPage will be able to piece together why this doesn't work.

mod_backhand actually plays "man-in-the-middle" wth regards to proxying HTTP
requests.  It takes the liberty of upgrading non-persistent HTTP sessions to
persistent sessions during proxying.

This allows mod_backhand to maintain open TCP/IP sessions and pipeline the
HTTP requests/responses between itself and another server, while the client
never knows the difference.

Client  -> HTTP/1.0 no keepalive -> mod_backhand -> upgrades to keepalive ->
selected server -> HTTP/1.0 with keepalive -> mod_backhand -> HTTP/1.0 no
keepalive -> Client.

Because of this, mod_backhand must know the internals of HTTP and counts on
the request and response being valid HTTP/1.0 requests...  If frontpage
requires a "change" to the HTTP protocol, that would completely break
mod_backhand's ability to HTTP redirect the request.  But, perhaps the HTTP
redirection methods will work for you:
http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/FAQ.shtml#question7

Hope this helps some :-)

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E  2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F