Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:41:37 +0000
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad144 & ide format

On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 08:45:43PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Help ! :-)
> I've config'd & used loads of SCSI drives on FreeBSD systems,
> but I never seem to be able to correctly add IDE drives to pre-built systems ...
>
> all I want to do is format them, run a bad144 on them to fix
> the bad blocks, disklabel & newfs & add them to existing systems.

Talk about doing things the hard way :-)  As described in the FAQ, you
can do this by running /stand/sysinstall on an existing system - there's
even an option to run a bad blocks scan first.  (Although doing it all
by hand should work as well).

> The strange thing is, despite bad144 producing these error messages,
> I can newfs a 200M file system & write & read check data to the FS
> without consolke errors, but I must be walking a tightrope, in light of the
> bad144 error report.

>From the FAQ:

4.1. I have bad blocks on my hard drive!

   [explanation of SCSI block re-mapping]

   For other drive types, you are dependent on support from the operating
   system. Unfortunately, the ``bad144'' command that FreeBSD supplies
   for this purpose needs a considerable amount of work done on it. In
   other words, it doesn't work. If you're lucky, you can create a file
   that contains the bad blocks and stuff it away with a name like
   ".BADBLOCKS". This is how I got 386BSD Patchkit 24 completed. NOTE:
   don't do this unless your time is effectively free.

   IDE drives are _supposed_ to come with built-in bad-block remapping; if
   you have documentation for your drive, you may want to see if this
   feature has been disabled on your drive. However, ESDI, RLL, and
   ST-506 drives normally do not do this.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk