Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 14:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Hart <root@tchnet.tchnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Modem Problem

Ok, this is the situation we have had lately...

We have two 16-port boca boards, a Boca Box with 15 boca internal rack
modems, and 3 external usr 28.8 modems.  All of the boca modems, except
for the bottom ones work perfectly.  Two of the usr's and about 4 of the
bocas give a string of garbage if one connects to them.  If you hit enter
a few times, you will get a login prompt, but, if you hit enter at the
login prompt you lock the modem.  Now, we have tried moving the modems
around, thinking it was the boca board, and that didn't work, they still
messed up.  (The usr's at least, will try a boca in a minute.)  There is
one usr that works, on the second boca board, all the way to the end of
it.  It is a dialin for a local bbs, and they have not had one bit of
trouble with that modem.  (The init strings/etc for all usr's are the
same, as are the dip switches.)  The phone lines are not the problem, as
we have tried to move those, also, and we still get the same problem.  I
have checked through the entire software side, that I can think of, and I
cannot see anything out of place for those modems.

One question I do have, should we be running the modem() script from
rc.serial on our reboots?  The file says we shouldn't run it, and
currently we do right now.  (This is the script portion that uses
comcontrol to lock the baud at 115200 and also sets the hardware flow
control on.)

Anyone have any other areas I can check for possible problems?

John
John Hart, System Administrator                       Technet Internet Services
dashadow@tchnet.com                                               (517)796-8200