Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:47:43 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster and pkgng

--------------enigC5E43248A711064666F0410D

On 23/07/2012 10:31, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> portmaster now is not recognizing anymore the format of the /var/db/pkg=

> folder - for those considered the knowledged no surprise, for me simply=

> the indication that portmaster usage isn't usable as usual.

You need to patch portmaster separately from installing pkgng.  Once
that is done, it doesn't complain about missing stuff in /var/db/pkg

Note: use the latest version of the patch from git in preference to what
is included in pkgng distfiles: the patch gets updated following
portmaster's release schedule, not pkgng's.

Here:

    https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/raw/master/ports/patch-portmaster-pkgn=

> Well, if I understand it right, pkg is considered to be for binary
> packages and does not make portmaster obsolete, if I'm inclined
> compiling my ports myself, am I right?

Correct.

> Well, I thought I read in here that pkg has now a much more
> sophisticated tracking of dependencies - usage of SQLite implies, that
> there is now a great opportunity of doing well in tracking problems and=

> versioning (I might be wrong).

Again, correct.  pkgng replaces grepping through a lot of files under
/var/db/pkg with doing some fairly simple SQL queries, and is in general
a much faster at that sort of thing.

> I tried to follow the chat on the list about pkgng, but for the rush I
> didn't figured out whether portmaster is considered obsolete - I saw
> patches for portupgrade flushing in, so my logic has been falsified by
> that implicitely ...

portmaster is definitely not obsolete.  pkgng doesn't /do/ ports at all,
only packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20