Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:33:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/25423: Category "biology" is not sufficient

>Number:         25423
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       The "biology" category holds programs from chemistry, physics and bio informatics
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD nil.science-factory.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Dec 7 18:17:37 CET 2000 mvw@nil.science-factory.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NIL i386

	Dear porters,

        the present contents of the "biology" category is getting a bit
        inappropriate.

        IMHO the "biology" category should be accompained by at
        least a "chemistry" category and possibly a "physics" category at
        some point in the future as well.

	Hard thing is, that most stuff fits some inbetween role,
        like "physical chemistry" or "biochemistry", and lately the part of
        biochemistry that deals with the computational aspects of genetics
        has spawned a field called "bioinformatics".

        (I studied physics and worked in a "cheminformatics" company and now
         in a bio informatics company :)

        Let's look what populates "biology" right now, and where I would
        rather like to see the stuff:

	   babel	molecular files -> fits chemistry as well
	   biojava      this rather bioinformatics (thus mostly computational genetics, biochemistry) than biology
	   chemeq       -> chemistry
	   clustalw     -> bioinformatics
	   deft         -> chemistry, physics
	   emboss       -> bioinformatics
	   fasta        -> bioinformatics
	   fasta3       -> bioinformatics
	   fastdnaml	-> bioinformatics, biology
	   gaussian98   -> chemistry, physics
	   gperiodic    -> chemistry
	   hmmer        -> bioinformatics
	   kinemage     -> chemistry, physics
	   molden       -> chemistry
	   mopac        -> chemistry, physics
	   nab          -> bioinformatics
	   ncbi-toolkit -> bioinformatics, biology
	   ortep3       -> physics, chemistry
	   p5-AcePerl   -> bioinformatics
	   p5-bioperl   -> bioinformatics
	   paml         -> bioinformatics
	   phylip       -> bioinformatics, biology
	   platon       -> physics, chemistry
	   povchem      -> chemistry, graphics
	   psi88        -> physics, chemistry
	   py-biopython -> bioinformatics
	   rasmol       -> bioinformatics
	   seaview      -> bioinformatics
	   sim4         -> bioinformatics
	   tinker       -> chemistry, physics
	   xdrawchem    -> chemistry
	   xmolwt       -> chemistry

	It must not be this scheme, but I hope I have illustrated,
        that just "biology" getting all those ports is not a good
        choice. Example I would rather look under "graphics" or "chemistry"
        for the "povchem" ray tracer package.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
	Discuss, introduce new categories, fix existing categorization. :-)

        Regards,
        Marc