Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:59:13 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SA-03:04.sendmail Bin Update

In message <5.2.0.9.2.20030304083444.01b72bd8@mail.servplex.com>, Peter Elsner cleopede:
>Step by step instructions
>
>ftp sendmail.org
>login anonymously
>cd pub/sendmail
>get sendmail-8.12.8.tar.gz
>quit
>tar xvzf sendmail-8.12.8.tar.gz
>cd sendmail-8.12.8
>./Build
>./Build install
>
>kill -1 (SIGHUP) sendmail
>
>You're now upgraded....

I found your advice to be inspirational, and I immediately set to
work to follow it.  However, here are a few things I had to do
(some are due to my rather old fbsd version--yes, it's past time
to upgrade the kernal--but some may be general):

(1) The actual name of the tar file is sendmail.8.12.8.tar.gz (note the
period instead of a dash).  This was especially annoying because for some
reason I couldn't get a remote directory listing with the ftp(1) client.
I eventually went in with a web browser & found the typo in the file name.

(2) I also have to add the smmsp user & group IDs and change a bunch of
directory ownerships & permissions (see the sendmail/SECURITY file in the
distribution).

(3) I had to copy cf/cf/generic-bsd4.4.cf in to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf .

(4) I had to create a /etc/mail/local-host-names file, and mv /etc/aliases into
/etc/mail, and run make in /etc/mail .

(5) I had previously upgraded to a version of sendmail that put a bunch of links
into /usr/local/sbin to a "sendm" program; I had to remove all these so that the
new version could actually be seen.

(6) NOW it seems to be working.

Greg Shenaut