Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:08:04 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Thomas <tomsoft@Netz-Werker.COM>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: growfs

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 10:41:20PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it> writes:
> > Sorry? In single user with a readonly / and nothing else? I would have to be
> > EXTREMELY unlucky to get any other access while the fs is inconsistent ;-)
>
> Just because you dropped to single-user mode (from multi-user, as I
> recall from your previous mail) doesn't mean your / is ro. Evn if you
> forced it back to read-only mode (using 'mount -ur /'), it may still
> have been inconsistent. The only way to get a consistent, read-only
> file system is to unmount it completely, then remount it read-only; in
> the case of /, this means *rebooting* into single-user mode.

I didn't state it explicitely but yes, I dropped to single user from multi user,
remounted / to ro, fsck'ed it. I only did this because I must confess I've
never done that on FreeBSD and couldn't find a nicer way then sticking
boot_single="YES" in /boot/loader.conf... Any pointer anybody (private email)?

Anyway, that was not my point. If I reboot into single-user, and am thus sure
to have the / fs in a clean, consistent state, should I expect growfs to work
in a safe way? If so, we should document it.

Bye,
	Ansrea

--
            Yes, I've heard of "decaf." What's your point?