Date:      25 Apr 96 12:51:31 PDT (Thu)
From:      mrm@Sceard.COM (M.R.Murphy)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ptroot@uswest.com, twoods@ccgate.sos.state.il.us
Subject:   Re: Net connected printer

Paul T. Root mentioned:

>In a previous message, Terry Woods said:
>>

>>      I have a network Lexmark 4029 using a HP Jetdirect interface.
>>      What dev (lp=) should I use in the printcap
>
>The HP JetDirect card is not a lpd server. You need software from HP
>to talk to it. As far as I know that software is available for HP/UX,
>SunOS and Solaris. It works quite well.
>
>The JetDirect does talk appletalk and (I think) Novell, directly.

The JetDirect and HP printers with the JetDirect built in also speak
lpr/lpd. You don't need the software from HP. It's nice but not
necessary. The manual is well-written and tells how to set IP
address and such :-) Turning off the extra banner page (or burst
page) may require the -h switch to lpr. I don't remember if the
sh flag is honored with a remote printer without looking up how
it's handled in the source for lpd (hint).

Other than that, it's a straightforward remote lpr/lpd printer.
The only trick is picking the queue, either "ascii" or "raw" if
my memory is OK. The "raw" queue works nicely with JetRoff which
can be found in old Usenet archives.

A suitable set of printcap entry should be something like

lp|ascii laserjet:\
	:lp=:rm=jetdirecthostname:rp=ascii:sd=/var/spool/lp:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
lpraw|raw laserjet:\
	:lp=:rm=jetdirecthostname:rp=raw:sd=/var/spool/lp:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

You can use the same spool directory or not, depending upon
which box you want to handle device contention. Same spool
and your FreeBSD box handles contention; different spool and
the JetDirect handles contention.

Remote queuenames and local spool directories may vary. Other printcap
friendly configuration information can be found with man printcap :-)
--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Sceard.COM  ucsd!sceard!mrm  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good