Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 15:55:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make(1) patches to bypass quietness prescribed by @-prefixed commands in Makefiles

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 01:25:16PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> > I like the idea, but the -l flag conflicts with a different usage for
> > SVR4 derived makes (on at least AIX, Irix, and Solaris):
> >
> >           -l load
> >                Specifies that no new jobs (commands) should be started
> >                if there are others jobs running and the load average
> >                is at least load (a floating-point number).  With no
> >                argument, removes a previous load limit.

Compatibility with those other makes is pretty low to begin with, but it
doesn't hurt, I guess, to allow for this.  -dl is ok with me.  I just
wouldn't consider the compatibility thing a real issue if it weren't this
easy to satisfy.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.