Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:33:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu (Brett Taylor)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, chirag@cse.iitb.ernet.in, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD X11 Desktop Theme Contest

According to Brett Taylor:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	Nice link, Brett.  Too bad the contest died; I missed
> > 	this one!   Maybe people are still interested in contributing
> > 	screenshots.
>
> Haven't had any in awhile - I just made a new screenshot of my current
> Window Maker desktop recently but I didn't put it up.  I can point you to
> it if you're interested.

		Please do.

> > 	Here's a related X/wm/environment question.  Does any window
> > 	manager allow toggling of autoraise|autolower for xterms?
> > 	Sometimes I like to have xterms automatically raise with a
> > 	mouse swipe; sometime not.  Be nice to have a [Toggle]
> > 	button.
>
> Not sure exactly what you mean here.  Do you mean sloppy focus? (I don't
> think so but....)
>
> If you're asking what I think you're asking, it appears Window Maker may
> have something like that (but again I'm not sure).
>
> They have a key shortcut for "Raise/Lower window under mouse pointer" -
> you could use sloppy focus and then define this key shortcut to do what
> you want (maybe?).

		Hmm, how to put this into words??...

		All right.  Many months ago I had ctwm's

		AutoRaise
		{
		  #Main
		}

		feature set on virtually every xterm.  Moving
		the mouse pointer into whatever new xterm would
		popup (up and over) the other xterm.  Simple:
		just moving the cursor would give me a full view
		of a new xterm.

		The drawback is that when I used apps with a scrollbar
		I frequently hit the xterm below it. And Pop! the
		xterm would cover the application.  Say netscape or
		knews.

		Now I've disabled all but one AutoRaise xterm.
		It would be handy if there were a ``toggle auto-raise''
		button for using apps like netscape.

		This matter may be like someone asking for the
		world on a stick, :-), and I realize that.

		What is "sloppy focus"?

		thanks,

		gary