Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 21:20:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        gclarkii@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Gary Clark II)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk-disklabel part 2

> Hello,
>
> Ok, I've not got a "hacked" sysinstall that only does fdisking, labeling
> and newfsing.  Right now I'm trying to track down where this sigfault
> is coming from after labeling and before newfing.  This is bloated
> as I've not trimmed out anything besides what was required to get it
> work.
>
> Point:  Why does only create a 'e' partion when I've only got one
> partion selected???

historical....

usually in these systems, a is root, b is swap and d is usr
in the case of 386BSD, d was the whole disk..
but in a disk with no root or swap, (or user)
it was still usual to not use a,b, or d unless you really had to..
if you had an 'a' usually that maent that it was an alternate root
partition, (so the disk would be bootable on another machine,
or by typing sd(1,a)/kernel
no a part usually indicated that it wasn't bootable..