Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:07:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing to External IPs from Internal IPs

I would like to be able to set the DNS settings for my internal network to
209.20.215.30 and 209.20.215.31.  The internal network is addressed as
192.168.1/24.

How can I route from the internal addresses, through the internal
interface of the firewall, to the external interface of the firewall, back
through the port address translation to my internal nameservers?

If this question is too arcane, please refer me to the correct
documentation.  I don't even know where to start.  Routing has always just
magically worked on FreeBSD.  I would think it would be possible to add
some sort of manual route to the routing tables, but what do I know.

The idea is to allow roamers to roam and never have to change any of their
configuration settings, namely their DNS settings.

Split DNS obviously can handle all other settings such as mail, time, web
and so forth.  Handling the DNS settings themselves, which are by IP
address, proves more difficult.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells