Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2014 12:38:55 +0100
From:      Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Terrible performance of XenServer 6.2 and FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE guest

Hi all,

I've just installed XenServer 6.2 along with all latest patches (SP1 and
014 update) on a machine that was previously a bare metal FreeBSD 9.2-R
installation, running fast and smooth.

That machine is a Quad Core cpu with 32GB of RAM:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 58
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 3400.086
cache size : 8192 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr mca cmov pat clflush acpi
mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni
pclmulqdq vmx est ssse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes hypervisor ida arat
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 6835.86
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

and 2x 3TB SATA disks connected in software raid 1 (mdraid).

After performing the updates on XenServer, I've installed first vm, FreeBSD
10.0-R amd64:

FreeBSD poudriere 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789: Thu Jan 16
22:34:59 UTC 2014     root@snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 amd64

with 8 vcpu's, 8GB of RAM, and two vdisks, 8GB for /, and 100GB for
/poudriere (both mounted with noatime). After playing a while with the vm
(installing pkg, peforming portsnap fetch extract, installing poudriere)
I've noticed extremely poor performance:

* portsnap extract can take over 20 minutes to dump the ports tree
* svnlite checkout of head/base takes ages and while it is happening, the
vm is almost unusable: it freezes periodicaly so even typing in console is
impossible, ls -la /usr/src takes few seconds to execute, the svnlite
process displays checked files in chunks (it runs for a while, freezes,
runs for a while again, and so on)

I wonder if there's anything I am missing in running FreeBSD as XenServer
guest? Linux vms on the same XenServer host are running faster by orders of
magnitude, and fbsd is not just slower, its unusable.

I'd appreciate any help!

Regards,
BL.