Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 17:58:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 303,000 routes in kernel

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Hello guys
>
> have got a small problem. I'm running a secondary DNS server for the
> ccTLD .ch here in Switzerland.

>  # vmstat -m
>  Memory statistics by type                          Type  Kern
>         Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
>      routetbl607857 85480K  85480K 85480K  2420956    0     0
> 16,32,64,128,256
>  Memory Totals:  In Use    Free    Requests
>                 91073K   2948K    786316696

If you want to wack up the amount of ram used for the routing table you can
adjust the amount of ram the kernel uses for it's stuff with something like
this in your kernel config file:

# 1/2 RAM for the kernel - lets us have full routes.
options        VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="(2)"

If anyone knows a better way to persuade the kernel to use more space for
the routing table i'd love to know.

--
Internet Vision          Internet Consultancy           Tel: 020 7589 4500
60 Albert Court            & Web development            Fax: 020 7589 4522