Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:55:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Greg Quinlan <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named BROKEN?

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Greg Quinlan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is the full message with error!!
>
> starting (/etc/namedb/named.conf).  named 8.3.1-REL Mon Mar  4 10:51:18 EST
> foo.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named
> Mar  5 04:55:18 bsd named[624]: limit files set to fdlimit (1024)
> Mar  5 04:55:18 bsd named[624]: master zone "foo.com" (IN) rejected due to
> errors (serial 2002030501)
> Mar  5 04:55:18 bsd named[625]: Ready to answer queries.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg

YES!  As said before, FIX YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS!  You had a serial number of
200204something before, now you have 200203something.  This WILL NOT WORK.
Do you understand that number is NOT parsed as a date?  Updated zone files
must have HIGHER numbers.  If you screwed the zone up originally by trying
to use a Euro date such as 2002270201, you can't just randomly start using
lower numbers.

I don't remember how to fix numbering, I think it involves using a higher
legitimate number with a very short expiration period, letting it expire,
and restarting with a new lower one.  But I'm not sure, you need to find a
BIND resource somewhere.

You may possibly have other problems with the zone file, but it WILL NOT
WORK until you fix the screwed-up serialization.  Stop posting until you
fix that.  For that matter, the whole issue is one for a BIND list, not
FreeBSD.

KeS