Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:02:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0-DP2/ia64 uploaded to ftp-master

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> We'll see five platforms for 5.0-RELEASE:  alpha, ia64, i386, pc98, and
> sparc64.  i386 and alpha will have packages.  pc98 can use the i386
> packages.  The situation for ia64 and sparc64 is a bit murky; there are
> no ports building clusters for these architectures yet, but I would
> like to see at least a Perl package for each of these.

i'm assuming the latter bit means there are no dedicated ia64/sparc64
machines in your package building cluster - only with whoever is actually
rolling the release ?

> Aw, cr*p.  My fault.  The filenames should have been analogous to i386.
> Sorry about that, folks.  :-(

no worries.  you could (temporarily) fix this by creating symlinks to
disc2 and miniinst.iso

> This seems like a good idea with the minor change that If It Was Up To
> Me, I'd name the latter image "5.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso".  Let me

i've got no issues there.

> knock this around with the other REs.  I agree that having the image
> name include the architecture would be a good thing.  We could have our
> release building scripts automatically create the ISO images with more
> descriptive filenames, but I don't know if I want to diddle with those
> at this point (maybe later though).

i don't understand the latter, but if in the future we get the above
naming for isos, that'd be great.

one other point, the IA64 miniinst doesn't appear to come with any of
the traditional docs that a installer has, and the disc2 appears to be
a "live" filesystem of some sort.  is that correct ?  there are no
documents of any kind in the unpacked tree either

(e.g *.TXT/*.HTM)

regards,

-jason