Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:06:10 +0000
From:      Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 31337

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:13:46AM -0700, Travis [Admin Team] wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, dce wrote:
>
> > I have noticed the following ports open on my FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE machine
> >
> > 31337/tcp  open        Elite
> > 6667/tcp   open        irc
> >
> > I have also noticed these open after CVSuping from 4.0-RELEASE to
> > 4.2-STABLE... Is this normal? Has a rootkit been installed? Any
> > information provided is greatly appreciated.
>
> 	31337 is the ol Back Orifice remote administration tool - they are
> just probing - silly kiddiez.

No I believe  that he is saying they are open, not that someone is probing
them.

There is nothing legitimate that runs on those ports out of the box.

Cvsuping will only close an open port if it changes the program that is opening it in the first place. Ie if its a trojaned system binary, then cvsuping and
a subsequent make world will hopefully replace it. If its a separate program,
say for example running from /dev/.hidden/rootkit, then only removing the
startup mechanism, and killing the program will close it.

I would reccomend that you install "lsof" and use it and judicial use of
netstat to identify what ports are open, which programs are listening to them
and where the files are located.

Do not rely entirely on netstat or any program that was in siture prior to this
occurance. They may have been tampered with (bear in mind your kernel may have
been tampered with aswell / or there may be hostile modules loaded.). Fresh
installs are your friend.

In my experience 6667 on a machine that isnt legitimately running and ircd, is
most likely to be an irc port bouncer. In which case your box has been taken
over by kiddies, who are using it to conceal their identities as they irc.
Running lsof and netstat periodically from cron will most likely reveal their
locations (or the next box in the chain that they have taken).
I would guess that 31337 is their backdoor, and 6667 is their portbouncer.

if you need any further assistance, feel free to drop me a line.

Marc Rogers
Head of Network Operations & Security
EDC Group