Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:16:09 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org, jlemon@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring a FS with kevent (was: Re: Redundant setup on a budget??)

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:42:32PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> >> It depends...
> >
> > Read through it a bit more concentrated today and found it probably
> > doesn't help anyway:
> >
> >  EVFILT_VNODE       Takes a file descriptor as the identifier and the
> > events
> >                     to watch for in fflags, and returns when one or
> > more of
> >                     the requested events occurs on the descriptor.
> > The events
> >                     to monitor are:
> >
> > I interpret this like it's good for monitoring single vnodes, but not
> > entire filesystem.
>
> Yes, you have to walk through the entire FS and request a notification
> for every file or directory. But perhaps the developer (CCed) is able to
> add the "monitor the entire FS for me" functionality in the kernel...
>
> Jonathan, we are talking about soft-realtime mirroring of an entire FS
> (or doing something like realtime-tripwire).

That functionality would be nice to have (e.g.: for something like
cvsupd), but currently isn't handled by kqueue().  As described above,
EVFILT_VNODE monitors files (or directories) so you'd have to
open each directory you wanted to monitor.

This isn't ideal; suggestions on how things *should* work would be
appreciated.  One of the main problems is that when the actual event
happens (at the vnode level), you only have the inode to identify
things by, the pathname used is long gone.
--
Jonathan