Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2013 01:47:55 GMT
From:      "gs_stoller@juno.com" <gs_stoller@juno.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pw

----__JWM__J6ed34e02.a28f112S.21ea087M

NetZero now offers 4G mobile broadband. Sign up now.
http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=3DNZINTISP0512T4GOUT1

----__JWM__J6ed34e02.a28f112S.21ea087M

	I have 2 FreeBSD systems (they are using versions 4.3 and 4.7 of the Fr=
eeBSD Operating System) that I have not used for a long time, and I have=
 forgotten their passwords.  I have information on these systems that I =
want to retrieve but I have not been able to log into these Systems.  My=
 problem was put on the internet several years ago and the usual ways of=
 getting into the systems (basically by being the operator) were suggest=
ed and tried, unsuccressfully.  A friend and I discussed my problem and =
he suggested that I zero out the root password so that I can get in as r=
ooy (to set a new password and then continue operating as root).
	Does the FreeBSD community have a program (either on a floppy or a CD R=
OM, preferably the latter) that can do this?  If not, I suggest that you=
 write one that would work with all the (formats of) password files that=
 have ever been used.  If it can determine the format of password files =
just by examining them, that would be fine.  If it can't, then it should=
 ask the user in which version of the FreeBSD Operating System the passw=
ord file was used, try to verify it by the structure of the password fil=
e and if it is verified make a copy of the password file (in case someth=
ing goes wrong, so that the system can be restored to its original condi=
tion and so undo anything that this program has done), and zero out the =
root password.  After this is done, one could log in as root to set the =
root password and afterwards (as root) set other user passwords.

Operating Systems that have ever been run.
You could set it up to look

----__JWM__J6ed34e02.a28f112S.21ea087M--