Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 18:04:19 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

Which if any utils. are available for use in a script to do local backup of
directories that have 32bit minor /dev numbers ? Any ? None ?
We've had 32 bit minors around for a long time, & there's a release
coming up, so it'd be nice if we could handle them easily.

dump:
  doesnt accept a directory specifier of /dev (I dont want whole FS archived)

tar:
  I thought tar wouldn't cope, was suprised to see it extract OK,
  tried again later, failed (what I'd initially expected),
  I'm confused by that (I'm the only root, & I can't spot a path change).
  Maybe I used subtly different tar invocation so that first tar did
  some kind of 2nd pass (like gtar does on > 128 chars/pathname, to extend
  beyond POSIX tar definition).

cpio: also could not archive large minors,

mtree: just creates dirs.

dev/MAKEDEV:
  inappropriate for this as I just want a little script that'll
  make a freeze copy of what's in /dev, (including all
  local adjustments automatically done by such as ports mgetty install etc),
  not a formalised copy of what should be there.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org		http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/