Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 04:04:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   outbound SOCK_STREAM - force source addr?

Greetings all,

Any way to force the source address for an outbound SOCK_STREAM?  I
know that one can do it for SOCK_DGRAM... but I've found no way to
do so for, say, a TCP connection.

Example:

+ dc0 has 192.168.0.1/24 as primary IP, 192.168.0.2/24 as alias
+ an outbound connection wishes to "come from" 192.168.0.2.

I know that one can always use an IP socket (duh!), but it's silly
to reinvent the TCP stack to force the source addr.

I've not looked at jail(2) to see if there's anything similar.  I
don't necessarily want to _use_ jail(2), but if there's code that
one could hack into a setsockopt(2) call, that would be a start.

Finally, I don't care about how loose or tight allowed-address
restrictions are, as long as any "local address" is acceptable.
(Local address = one for which the machine answers ARP requests.)

Suggestions?  Have I overlooked something simple?

TIA,
Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence