Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 09:11:40 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        Normand Leclerc <leclercn@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip_divert blues (was natd blues)

 Sat, May 26, 2001 at 21:35:25, leclercn (Normand Leclerc) wrote about "ip_divert blues (was natd blues)":

>      I recently posted help on a slowdown problem when using natd.  I
> found out that ipfilter (ipnat) is doing the very same thing: slowdown.
> I trimed down the kernel to almost nothing, I removed a network adapter
> I didn't need; in brief, I did everything I could think of ...  nothing
> has changed.  My cable modem is as slow as an ADSL.
>    I have two rules in my firewall when using natd:
>        - 100 divert natd all from any to any via rl0
>        - 200 pass all from any to any
>    On the nat machine, I start a transfer with my ISP's ftp server to be
> able to reach maximum transfer speed.  I get something like 50k/s.  On
> the fly, I add a third rule: 50 pass all from any to any.  Suddently, my
> transfer rate goes up to nearly 170k/s.

You didn't do standard system load meterings. Please tell:
`uptime' output (LA values),
`top' output - does natd occupy top position or not; exact WCPU and CPU values;
`systat -io' output - percents of processor in each mode (idle/user/sys/intr);
`systat -vm' output - number of interrupts, context switches, syscalls
per second;

Also try get collisions, input and output errors on interface with netstat.

All these data may help with diagnostics, but without them diagnostics
is almost impossible.

>    The nat machine is a P90 with 32megs of ram.  It has a 3com 3B905BTX
> and a cheaper nic connected to the cable modem (realtek).
>    Ideas?  Has the IP divertion become that slow?

/netch