Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:02:50 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Nathan Garretson <nateg@blazenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I wanna contribute.

Nathan,

Sorry for the late (!) reply. . .

On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 10:54:34AM -0400, Nathan Garretson wrote:
> 	My name is Nathan Garretson and im currently attending Harrisburg Area
> Community College for Computer Networking. I'm not much of a programmer but I
> had read that you are looking for unsupported hardware to be donated, and this
> I figure I can help with. In the past, being the poor soul I was, I managed to
> be 'enrique swavvy' with local big business and computer places/manufacturers
> and get lots of free stuff. I figured now that since FreeBSD is quickly
> becoming my fav, I could try to help if you need it. My ideas were writing
> local business telling them of my project to get hardware for the FreeBSD
> cause. In the past, my experiences with big business' was that they would
> rather give me the hardware for my educational use then throw it away. The
> stuff that was rather useless to me I ended up selling. So, this is my plan, I
> could get this hardware stuff, email you guys what I got, what you dont
> need, I could sell and donate the money to you. I also have a similar plan
> with large companies doing similar, except with new hardware. Anyway email
> me back, and if you think my ideas suck, I would be glad to help with
> something else (hopefully hardware/networking stuff). Later on.

Sounds like a useful idea to me.

Can I suggest you contact Justin Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>.  He's in the
final throes of setting up the FreeBSD Foundation in the US, which will be
a non-profit organisation that can accept donations like this -- if I
understand things properly, this also means that the companies doing the
donating can write the donations off against tax (or something like that
anyway).

Hope that helps.