Date:      05 Dec 1997 16:58 EST
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortel.ca>
To:        reg@csir.co.za
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, sos@FreeBSD.dk, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr, mark@vmunix.com, grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should I buy a Cyrix processor?

My 2c,

I've got a K6-200 and I'm sad to say this particular chip is not overclockable.
Even with the big fan, grease, and huge-mother-heat-sink it still locks up.
I can't say for sure that the lock-ups are attributable to overheating, but
my old Pentium 150/75 combo ran solidly with the same mobo and PCI devices...
apparently AMD is having chip-fab problems (refer to Tom's site), and I know
that in my neck of the woods the chips are hard to find.

Now, having said all of this, I am *very* pleased with the performance of this
chip. And, when not overclocked, it does run cooler than a Cyrix.

I second Jeremy's suggestion to reference Tom's site, its an invaluable
resource.

Again, just my 2c ...

Andrew
(opinions mine, not Nortels..)