Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:47 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        dandee@volny.cz
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application layer firewall on FreeBSD, is it possible ?

On Aug 30, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Daniel Dvo=C5=99=C3=A1k wrote:
> let me ask you for task "how to control p2p applications and their =20
> traffic
> with dynamic ports from user=C2=B4s commputers on gateway".
>
> We are small wireless community and have shared access to internet =20
> for all
> members. Core members decided to control p2p traffic by default and =20=

> to allow
> each person in individual way, after showing their knowledge of =20
> authorial low. :)
>
> But since many dc hubs, edonkey servers, bittorents web trackers =20
> and so on
> use dynamic not standard ports, how to control it ?

Start with a "deny all" policy, and use L7 proxies like squid for the =20=

specific protocols like HTTP which you want to permit.  If you're =20
really serious about controlling the traffic, don't let your router =20
talk to anything but your proxy server in order to be certain that =20
the client machines have to go through that.

--=20
-Chuck