Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:03:34 +0100
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solved (I hope): Toggling port dependencies

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 16:10, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> RW wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 13:25, RW wrote:
> >> You could try  setting USE_OPENLDAP_VER=23 for the port.
> >
> > Actually, I see it conflict with 2.2, so it must be set globally.
>
> Yes, OpenLDAP 2.3 conflicts with 2.2, but jabberd by default assumes 2.2
> so the build fails. Then rather than downgrading OpenLDAP since 2.3 is
> the recommended I'd prefer to force jabberd to build against 2.3.
>
> I've seen many ports doing this, for example squid. Some announces how
> to select a particular version. I don't know if your hint work with all
> ports.

Actually I think I got this wrong; USE_OPENLDAP_VER will create spurious LDAP
dependencies if set globally. It should have been

WANT_OPENLDAP_VER=23

Dependencies on OpenLDAP are handled by  the common ports makefiles. jabberd
doesn't specify a version.  I think it simply defaults to 2.2, even if 2.3 is
installed.