Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:06:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, John Kelly wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 05:45:23 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard"
> <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> >> With a pool of $500,000 to spend, neither Jordan nor core should be
> >> deciding what gets funded.  Funding decisions should be controlled by
> >> the donors themselves, collectively.  And voting is the only way to do
> >> that.
> >
> >This is a complete waste of time.  I've already told you - if you have
> >a problem with the way funding is allocated then simply don't donate
> >funds, it's very simple.  Can we get back to work now?
> >
> >					Jordan
>
> Keeping my money is one of the easiest things I can do.
>
> If you can't see the value of meaningful donor incentives, someone
> else will.

And if you're only attracted by the dollar amounts, MicroSoft will take
your money.  You've a choice of being insulted that no one wants to
commercialize their hobby, accepting it, or going to MicroSoft, where they
will gladly take your money.  As it stands now, FreeBSD will listen to you
for free, and give you far more attention than MicroSoft will give you for
10 million bucks.

If the only thing that you can see are wasted opportunities to make bucks,
why are you involved with a volunteer OS?  I personally think it's because
you *like* messing around with FreeBSD ... isn't that so?

> --
> Browser war over, Mozilla now free.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |