Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:15:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>, Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel cannot mount root with new bootblocks

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > In light of all the boot problems I have seen, are there still plans to go
> > ELF Kernel tomorrow?  I think you will see that people are going to take a
> > wait and see aproach with CURRENT if this happens.
>
> Naw, lets have the commiters walking on eggshells supporting both targets
> until the next release.  I'm sure they're really keen on that. :)
>
> I've noticed most all the problems people have been experiancing can be
> attributed to user error, not programming error, the boot blocks work fine
> and are extremely configuable.  Unfortunatly the only documentation
> available at this point is this list archive.
>
> -Alfred

	Not true.  I've already notified Robert Nordier about a problem.
It looks like the boot blocks don't work well when the first bios disk is
not da0, but da1.  This is the case when you swap the channels on a dual
channel controller.

	All in all I do agree with dumping the old blocks in favor of the
new.  As a temporary work around I put "0:da(1,a)kernel" in /boot.config,
yes, boot.config.  The original pposter might try this or something
similar.

	Note, I think the proper fix, and I may look into this, is to
detect that the channels are swapped and thereby swap ahc0 and ahc1, which
would make the bios and the unit number agree.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]