Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:49:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Kott <dakott@alpha.delta.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPSd and APC Back-UPS

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, David Kott wrote:

> Has anyone actually gotten UPSd 2.0.1.6 to work with a homebrew cable?

Nope, I begged one out of APC.  :)  I have the pinouts (from my own
explorations with a multitester) in my room, somewhere ..

> I recently purchased an APC Back-UPS 500 and tracked down a hack'd
> cable callout that allegdly duplicates the APC part. I checked for
> loopback on the serial port I was planning to use, changed the
> upsd.conf to said serial port, attached my homemade cable adapter, and
> started up upsd.  However, it reports "Cannot put the UPS into smart
> mode!".  I suspect this means that I don't have valid communications
> between the ups and the serial port/daemon.  Evidently, the man page
> and README have not been written yet (an entry in the TODO list!)
> So, I might have something configured incorrectly.

upsd is more or less mine now, I haven't had the time to fiddle with it.
I suggest finding a copy of 2.0.1.6.1, which is adapted for 120 volt
usage.  It used to be on my workstation, which isn't reachable from the
world. I have it for http download only from
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/upsd-2.0.1.6.1.tgz.

> male DB9 (UPS)          fem DB9 (UNIX)
> 1 CD                    7 RTS
> 2 RD                    1 CD