Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        smpatel@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Couldn't change IRQ on Creative SB16 PnP

Terry --

Replying to:

	I assume you mean the configuration 0 in the Windows 95
	property page.  This is the default from the PnP config-
	uration.

Yes, that's what I meant -- configuration 0.

Is there any way to tell i386/isa/pnp.c to activate a configuration
other than 0?

	You must have an error in your configuration information
	if IRQ 5 is taken by something else.

IRQ 5 isn't taken by anything else right now.  I want to add another
(legacy ISA) card that must use IRQ 5.  My plan was to reconfigure the
SB16 PnP sound card to use IRQ 10 (instead of its default IRQ 5), and
=then= add the other card on IRQ 5 =after= the sound card was working
on IRQ 10.

	What you probably need to do is go into the PnP BIOS
	configuration and tell it IRQ 5 is taken by an ISA card.

I tried this, but it didn't help; the sound card still wouldn't accept
IRQ 10, and when I ran "pnpinfo", it still reported IRQ 5 as the only
IRQ available to the sound card in configuration 0.

Note, FWIW, that the SB16 card is an ISA (not PCI) PnP card.  I don't
know if this makes a difference or not.

	PS: If your BIOS doesn't know this, then FreeBSD isn't
	going to be able to know it either...

But when I run DOS (6.22) and Windows (3.1) on the same system, and tell
them to use IRQ 10 to talk to the sound card, it works just fine.  This
works even if the BIOS thinks IRQ 5 is available for PnP.  So I assume
the BIOS is OK, and that the FreeBSD code is failing for some reason to
do whatever is necessary to set up the right IRQ.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/