Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:32:27 +0200
From:      Leif Neland <leif@roskihs.roskildebc.dk>
To:        xp7@inetnow.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Many Users

At 11.03 27-08-1997 -0700, Bill Harrison wrote:
>Does anyone know the maxumum number of user accounts that can be
>enterred into the passwd file. Could it handle up to 70,000 logon names
>and passwords.
>
>There would never be more than 100 users logged on at a time.

I very much believe 65534 is the highest uid-number.

You will also run into troubles with i-nodes for home-dirs and files.

I donīt know a reasonable number for users, perhaps 5000 or so?

One ISP uses adresses as xxx@post1.tele.dk, yyy@post4.tele.dk; I donīt know
how many users they have.

But it shouldnīt be a problem having an enormous alias-file on the main
mailserver, so everybody has an email-adress as user@provider.dom, and the
main server then knew on which server the user lived.