Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 11:24:48 -0600
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@Poohsticks.Org>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panics when using Mylex RAID with SMP under RELENG_4

In message <20000502123910.C29330@targetnet.com>, james@targetnet.com writes:
>I am trying to run a Mylex Acceleraid 1100 in a Dell Poweredge 2450.

What is a Dell Poweredge 2450, in terms of chipset and processors?

>When
>running rawio against the mylex partition, the system panics within 2
>minutes, always with a trap #29.  I have kernel dumps for four panics, but
>kgdb doesn't show any similarities between the panics (other than that they
>are all #29).

To add another datapoint:

I just swapped the 350MHz PII in my Super Micro  P6DGS (your generic
440GX dual slot-1 board) for a pair of PIII600Es.  Since then, I have been
getting panics under both 4.0 and 5.0 current from trap 29 that seem
correlated to IDE disk I/O load.

The first crash dump I grabbed showed that the faulting address was
idle_loop + 64, which is at the cli instruction.

Trap 29 could come from processor fault 19 (SIMD), an APIC, or PIC.  Since
cli isn't a SIMD instruction, I suspect the APICs or PICs but have yet to
instrument and test this hypothesis.

>      tf_eip = -1071757093, tf_cs = 8, tf_eflags = 582, tf_esp = 0,
>      tf_ss = -8359936}) at ../../i386/i386/trap.c:586
>(kgdb)

What do you get when you feed kgdb

    frame 3
    info line * (void *)frame->tf_eip

?

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.