Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:23:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers), www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CPU compatibility

After checking the back of the FreeBSD 2.0.5 and FreeBSD 2.1 CD's and
the handbook, I have not been able to find out any specifics on CPU
compatibility.  I noticed that the PC Hardware Compatibility link in
the Appendices of the handbook has disappeared (possibly due to a lack
of contributions, as it was pretty skeletal in the 2.1 release).

My basic question is this:  am I playing with fire trying to use Cyrix
CPU's?  My MainBoard seems to run FreeBSD 2.1 just fine with an Intel
80486DX(33), but when I rejumper and put in the Cx486DX2(66), I get
random reboots, shell and grep doing SEGV's, etc.  This happens with
either or both caches enabled.  The system is so slow with both caches
disabled that I am better off running the DX than the DX2.

Since AMD quit making 5V CPUs, options for 5V main boards are a little
slim.

Suggestions?

		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417