Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:12:00 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound on AlphaStation 500

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:04:35AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:23:19PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> >
> > Wilko Bulte writes:
> >  > Hi
> >  >
> >  > Anybody ever succeeded in getting the builtin sound to work on the
> >  > AlphaStation 500? I got an AS500 this week and have been playin with
> >  > it a bit. Sofar I can get the CS sound chip detected alright but playing
> >  > sound results in "no interrupt, channel dead" messages. I used the
> >  > ECU (yes, the ISA stuff hangs off a PCI-EISA bridge so you need to run
> >  > the ECU) to set up things, and also checked the jumpers on the sound
> >  > daughtercard (it has jumpers for the I/O range).
> >  >
> >  > Suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > It worked a few years ago when I had an AS500 on my desk.
>
> Good datapoint. Did it show up in SHOW CONF? Mine does not.
> I'm gonna try a AS500 at work to see what that one sez.
>
> > Blind guess: try setting the flags to 0x10011.
>
> I'll try.

It works, somewhat. Good memory.

Somewhat as in: plays one MP3, then reports 'play interrupt timeout,
channel dead' when I play the 2nd one. Sometimes even the first one won't
play. This is using the pcm driver on -stable.

> Do you per chance remember if you ran the ECU? If yes, what
> DMA/IRQ settings?

I use IRQ10, DRQ0 port 0x530

> > I think the key is to disable the use of 2 DMA channels & tell the PCM
> > code that its a "true MSS"

I cannot get the ECU to disable a DMA channel.

Did you see the sound interface in SHOW CONF?

W/