Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:57:18 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Riccardo Veraldi <riccardo@righi.ml.org>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32-bit filesystem

--------------6FA41D33C9D1A5438AEBF1EB

Hello,

it seems there is some confusion, here :
- under FreeBSD, all disk accesses are 32 bits (the OS : the kernel and
the utilities are all 32 bits - even 64 bits on an alpha).
- Kent's suggestion is about DMA access - versus PIO access (which is
slower) ; I don't know of any problem related with using DMA on older
disks (but there may be ?)

I would suggest you install FreeBSD with the default (non-DMA)
configuration, and then enable DMA on one controller (wdc0 or wdc1) -
try and experiment.

	TfH

Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> thanks for the hints u gave me.
> but I Wanted to ask if this thing of enabling 32 bit disk access
> could make the system unstable or something.
> Why if such speed improovement are obtained it is not included for default
> in the kernel configuration ??
> For example I have very new disk drives on my FreeBSD box but also an old
> one perhaps the old one does not support such a 32 bit access.
> Do u think I can choose what drive to work with 32 bits and which one
> to work as default ?
> Could the system hang or something ?
> thanks
>
> Rick
>
> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:
>

> > Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > > I would like to know if FreeBSD has 32-bit disk access for default or if
> > > I need to enable some other option in the configuration kernel file before
> > > compiling it with 32 bit support for disk access.
> >
> > It isn't turned on by default; however, you can turn it on by doing a
> > configuration at boot (boot -c). I add "flags 0xa0ffa0ff" to my wdc0
> > and wdc1 lines in my kernel configuration file. Examples are in the
> > LINT file for wdc2. Changing it at boot lets you see the effect
> > without regenerating the kernel.
> >
> > The transfer rate from my 13GB Maxtor UDMA 33 drive as determined by
> > an "iozone 180" went from 3.8xMB/s to 11+MB/s on writes and 14+MB/s on
> > reads. That is a significant difference.
> >
> > Kent
> >

> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Rick

> > --