Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 16:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SGML and Jade

I downloaded the packages sp-1.2.1 and jade-1.0.1 from 2.2.5-RELEASE, and
was able to install them without any rude messages.

However, I am a total beginner with SGML, having used groff/mm for some
time, and lout very recently.  I would like to know how to get from an
SGML-tagged document, based on a given DTD, to a Postscript file suitable
for printing.  I don't want to fiddle with the DTD and DSSSL until I can
get some simple examples processed.

So my questions are :-

1) Are there other packages I need to install?
2) What is a suitable sequence of commands?
3) Are there other successful users of SGML and Jade under FreeBSD?
- and on a related topic -
4) How widely used is lout?  I was very impressed with the ease of
installation, learning curve and high-quality output, but I don't want to
invest a lot of time in producing documents with a very unusual tag-set.

Thanks in advance! Happy New Year - less than 2 years to 2000!