Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:28:11 -0300
From:      "J. M. Albores" <jote@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which is the format of /etc/ld-elf.so.conf?

Please, reply to me at least in private as I am not actually subscribed
to the list.

I am a single user -not in a LAN- using 3.2-RELEASE, and I am having
problems with some java pages when I open them with Netscape.

When it tries to load a Web Page with Java classes, it just closes all
windows and goes.
The same problem repeats again and again. And the same problem appears
trying to run ICQ-Java: It flashes once for some miliseconds and then
closes.
Same problem with vim package for 3.0 on a 3.2 system: It complaints
about some libraries.

The issue is that "I guess" there is some problem loading java: I
installed jdk-1.1.6 from my 3.0-RELEASE CD-ROM on my actual 3.2 (as I
want to save lots of minutes downloading jkd from 3.2 ftp
ports/packages) and I could solve once a similar problem under my Linux
box adding the path of "/path-to/lib/green_threads" as a new line to
"/etc/ld.so.conf".

So, I would like to try "hand-hacking" ld-elf.so.conf (and running
"ldconfig" instead of downloading last jdk from Internet) and I think I
just need to know two things:
1. Which is the format for ld-elf.so.conf and for ld.so.conf? Just one
directory per line, or each,after,comma or ...?
2. Which is the command line for:
	# ldconfig ........
in order to "verbosely" and "Debbuging" run ldconfig and see what
happens or redirect it to a file? man ldconfig was not clear to me at
these two points.

TIA and please remember to answer to me in private.

---
J. M. Albores