Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 18:20:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
To:        jdl@chromatic.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS question

Hi,

Unfortunately, what you want is impossible. The smallest entity in
the DNS is the reverse mapping of a C-net. You must ask the "real"
owner of the 166.1.199.IN-ADDR.ARPA zone to add reverse mappings for
your IP addresses.

Meta-answer: subscribe to the bind mailing list
             bind-request@uunet.uu.net)

Regards,

           Frank

> Hackers,
>
> Is there a way to reliably claim to do DNS for anything less than
> a full Class-C subnet?  I only have a 3-bit subnet, and I question
> my 'Net friendliness if I claim this in my named.boot:
>
>     directory       /etc/namedb
>
>     cache     .                                   named.root
>     primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA                localhost.rev
>
>     primary   jdl.com                             jdl.hosts
>     primary   166.1.199.IN-ADDR.ARPA              jdl.rev
>
> The point here is that I appear to resolve all of subet 199.1.166.*
> when I really only can legitimately resolve 199.1.166.[200-207].
> Is there some syntax not revealed in the Albitz/Cricket book that
> means sort-a like:
>
>     primary   200.166.1.199.IN-ADDR.ARPA/29              jdl.rev
>
> Meta-question: Is there a better DNS list to question for this one?
>
> Thanks,
> jdl

       Frank Volf - Internet Access Eindhoven - Digitale Stad Eindhoven
  ||  volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl - use for personal mail                         ||
  ||  volf@IAEhv.nl - use for Internet Access Eindhoven related mail      ||
  ||  volf@dse.dse.nl - use for Digital City of Eindhoven related mail    ||
    IAE Public Access Unix System - Dial +31.40.2439436 and login as new.