Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:23:09 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: metricom & freebsd

Doug White scribbled this message on Dec 5:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Paul Traina wrote:
> >   > Has anyone done a Metricom star mode driver for FreeBSD?
> >   > (Star mode is the higher speed packet-oriented mode, Linux has a driver).
> >
> >   Is there even a starmode driver for Windows?  I'm using plain-old Dial Up
> >   on my Win95 laptop.
> >
> > No.
> >
> >   If you want to try and hack something I'll volunteer to test it.  I wonder
> >   if i[ij][ij]ppp would be a good place to start; tun0 seems like a good
> >   target interface.
> >
> > Yes, iijppp is a good place to test it out.  Unfortunately I have
> > neither the time nor the spare group of modems to actually write
> > and debug it.  I was asking more for curiosity sake.  It's too bad
> > Metricom doesn't offer IP over STAR mode as a service, that would
> > immediately make it interesting.

I was going to look at it.. (I have a few linux cd's with the proper
source on it, and have even looked at the code, but it was WAY to
ugly)...  but I haven't had time... I've been working on other projects
that have more interest to me...

> I need to re-read the starmode docs.  I figured you could tweak it to dial
> into your gateway.  Or is that type of functionality not supported yet?

star mode is a way to convert your modem into something much closer to
an ethernet card...  it drops the over head of ppp and the stream that
is required.. and you send raw packets that are addressed to the remote
side directly...

tun would be easy to write the interface code and test it.. but if you
want any real performance out of the driver, your going to need to
write it as a kernel driver...   possibly adding another type of handler
to go along with slip/ppp that can be layered on the tty struct...

as for modems... I'm pretty sure that Doug wouldn't mind helping in
the developement process...  also, as long as your a subscriber to the
ricochet network, don't they route packets for you?  so as long as both
ends are subscribers to their network, it shouldn't be a problem...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD