Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:18:01 -0500
From:      "James E. Housley" <jeh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

Terry Lambert wrote:

> My personal opinion is that the utility of the counters is
> mostly in the examination of small deltas, or delta measurement
> over intervals (c.v. the recent "sar" discussion); is there a
> particular reason that making them more expensive to get 64
> bits of accuracy is needed to fulfill?

Right now I am trying to do network usage on the overflows the 32 bit
counters in 60 120 seconds.  That means the netstat values are useless,
mrtg and other programs that poll for results every 5 minutes or so are
useless.  If I want to get good data I have to get the counts every 10
seconds or so to get reasonable results.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .