Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 17:38:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        D.Inksetter@saidev.com (Derek Inksetter), freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a PPP server

In article <52uk4s$hms@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

: Forgive me if this is a FAQ

 It should probably be in the handbook as a server-ppp setup.. but it
 isn't yet :)

: I want to use FreeBSD as a dial-up PPP server, with 4-8 modems hanging
: off the back end.  Most (all?) of the users would be using Windows 95 or
: NT, but there may be a few others.

: What I need to know is:
: 1. What multiport serial board will incur the least overhead?  Do they all
:    incur about the same interrupt overhead or is there some "smartness"
:    that the kernel can take advantage of with some?  There's also the
:    question of reliability.

 Ok.. i'll give you a run down of what we use... 2x Cyclades Cyclom
 16Ye ISA boards (16 ports each) and a AST type 4 port to make a
 total of 38 ports on our dialup server.

: 2. Is there a real difference between user-mode ppp (iijppp?) and
:    kernel-mode WRT performance?  I would think it would, especially as you
:    add more serial ports.

 I guess so... The userland ppp code is quite slick but i haven't used
 the kernel land stuff.

: 3. What kind of machine will do the job?  I'd think a 486/66 will handle a
:    few ports simultaneously, but where's the cutoff point?  Maybe the
:    answers to questions 1&2 affect this one.

 We have a 486dx33 with 8mb RAM and a pretty small disk.  All it does is
 service the dialup lines.. and it works a treat.  Before someone cut
 the power we had 51 days up no sweat :)

: There must be lots of people out there who use FreeBSD for this purpose.
: Maybe someone can relate their experiences with some particular hardware.

 For using with win95 dialup I suggest taking a look at the work i did
 with userland ppp.

 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr.cgi?pr=1494

 contains the patches to 2.1-stable's ppp to allow autonegotiation of
 NetBIOS nameservers and DNS servers with win95 clients.

 Alternatively i've packaged up some "distributions" with sample
 config files etc at (slow site.. really slow.. :)

  ftp://ftp.imforei.apana.org.au/pub/freebsd/ppp-plus

 (versions for 2.1.x and 2.2-current.. including a diff against
 -current)

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds