Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 14:56:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, trangmar@gnsnet.com, langfod@maui.net, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, phk@critter.tfs.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

> Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> >
> > The limitation on boot-critical devices comes because there is no
> > VM86() "fallback" drivers using BIOS calls to do a minimal job (all
> > boot critical devices have BIOS hooking POST routines, or they are
> > unusable for DOS).
>
> Speaking of which, where's our step-by-step list of what else has to happen
> before we can do vm86()?

In the Microsoft Developement Netowrk Level II DDK under ddk/docs,
there is a file called vmm.doc.

IBM published a VM document describing the OS/2 VM implementation.

I don't know if you'd have to do a whole virtual machine manager
(ala the Microsoft document) unless you wanted DOS sessions and the
ability to run things like "Descent" in a DOS window on your X
desktop, or display DOS text-mode sessions on remote X displays.

Personally, I'm only interested in the driver abstraction capapbilities
(for now anyway).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---