Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:45:13 -0400
From:      John LoVerso <loverso@infolibria.com>
To:        Eric Parusel <lists@globalrelay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP/fxp problem...

> When you say "changing a BIOS settings that limited the number of IRQ
> assignments from a legacy mode", did you mean that you increased the
> limit of IRQ assignments from a legacy mode, or decreased the limit?
> (I think you mean increased, but I'd like to be 100% sure :) )

Increase.  In December I spent a small amount of time tracking down this problem
(I added a trace buffer to see if I could pinpoint the interrupt load at the
time I'd get a "device timeout").  Somewhere I got a hint about it being an SMP
problem with shared IRQs; probably from searching the freebsd-hackers list or
from Intel documentation.

Anyway, I made the change and it solved the problem.

The BIOS setting is:

	PCI IRQs to IO-APIC Mapping:	Enable

		Enabled- BIOS will use all 24 IO APIC pins in
		describing PCI interrupt conditions in the MP table.
		Disabled- Only 16 std ISA IRQs are used.
		Do not enable if OS does not support this feature.

John