Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:54:56 +1100
From:      "Joe Shevland" <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Capriotti" <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        <capriotti0@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: WebAdmin

> From: Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
> To: hackers@freebsd.org
> Cc: capriotti0@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: WebAdmin
> Date: Friday, 30 January 1998 4:14
>
> Abouit suggestion on that "What I would like to see in a weAdimn tool", I
> found a couple of good points here: [snip]
> Now one question :  if this could turn into a general admin tool, why not
> use Java (no flames, I beg !).

None from me today :-). I think it'd be a good idea. One downfall with this
is the current version of the JDK (not the beta 1.2, but 1.1.5, I think)
will only allow connections from the client back to the server running the
httpd, using applets (unless you digitally sign the little beasties).
My original thoughts were not about post-install configs but this latest
stream seems the way to go (too many variables to be assumed to design a
Java/HTML/GUI installation cousin to sysinstall).
As far as security goes, this admind would have to have superuser
permissions, would it not?

> If the tools is general/customizable enough,
> and can be used by other Unix systems, Java could be a way of spreading
> this code and the the Free idea.

I agree. I think Java and FreeBSD could become (are becoming, have
become...) a very powerful combination. If you want a collaborator feel
free to mail me...

Joe.