Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 07:36:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Subject:   Re: [Q]: formula for calculating BPI needed

As Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> "B records per volume" what is the capacity of the tape in units of "records".
> "b kB per records"     what is a "record", the unit of the "B" option.

No.  `b' is *NOT* the unit of the `B' option:

		case 'b':		/* blocks per tape write */
			ntrec = numarg('b', "number of blocks per write",
		case 'B':		/* blocks per output file */
			blocksperfile = numarg('B', "number of blocks per file",

I think this makes it clearer than the man page is.  The unit of the
`B' option is always `blocks', which is `blocks of 1 KB' for dump's
purpose.

The sole meaning of `b' is to specify how many of these 1 KB blocks
should be written at once.

--
cheers, J"org