Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:34:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, Tomas Hodan <tomas@hodan.sk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install crash on hp omnibook 6100

On 23-Aug-2002 Doug White wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> > There is an issue with the HP laptop DSDT and our ACPI code. They
>> > initialize some child devices before initializing their parents, causing
>> > an infinite loop.  The acpi-jp list doesn't seem interested in changing
>> > the way we do initialization, and theres no docs on the part it's
>> > initializing to rewrite the DSDT.
>>
>> Hmm, could you clarify.  What child devices is it initializing first?
>
> Its trying to fetch some data from the cardbus controller before its been
> initialized, but its trying to do it in its own _REG routine or
> something... look for FDS_._REG; the CSID() function is what initiates
> the loop.

Reading the AML I don't see why we would get into a loop (and atm I don't
feel like wading through 900k to see where the loop is).

> I attempted to post a note to the acpi-jp list in april asking about our
> architecture model but it appears to have never made it.  We may need to
> revisit our assumption that ACPI can be initialized top-down.

No, you have to do things top-down.  ACPI assumes this in several areas.
For example, if you want to power on a PCI bus, you have to power on the
bus before powering on devices off that bus.  If you want to power off a
bus, you power off children first, but initialization of devices is much
more like the power on situation since parent devices provide resources
needed by child devices.