Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 10:29:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Subject:   Re: Who's working on ISDN?

Chuck Robey writes:

> I used to be a voice/digital telecomm guy, before I went back to school,
> and I'm really curious.  I know the European digital pipes are 2.048 MBS,
> while ours are 1.544 MBS.  I saw above where it said NT1.  Are the NT1
> rates the same here/there, or does the card do both 2.048/1.544?

The boards we're talking about here are Basic Rate boards, still
usually known as S0 in Geramny.  The standard is the same everywhere:
2 B channels with 64 kb/s (which can be used for voice or data), one D
(signalling) channel with 16 kb/s.  Also, for the signalling guys,
there's another 48 kb/s channel timing.  The NT1 (known in Germany as
NTBA) is an active electrical interface to the externatl telephone
line.

Basic Rate in the US has a problem that the trunks usually run 64 kb/s
with inband signalling.  As a result, they take one bit per byte of
the B channels, and you end up with 56 kb/s B channels.  I don't think
that German ISDN boards can handle that, though maybe it's a software
option.

Greg